Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas traditions: Elves





This is our Christmas elf. It has no name; it just shows up early December and makes his last appearance on Christmas Eve. My mother bought this set of elves. It could have been three elves or two or maybe a whole herd, I don't remember. This is the only remaining elf. I do remember her setting them out each year as part of her holiday decorations. It certainly doesn't resemble Peter Jackson's idea of blondish elves now, does it? Anyway, when I got older and had children of my own, in the true spirit of Christmas I stole this from my mom's stash of decorations. This elf would appear one day in December surprising all of us and we would find him in different rooms during the day. Daddy and Auntie Kenna's eyes would get big when they would find him in either of their rooms as we had explained that this is how Santa found out about being naughty or nice. Every evening the elf would appear in the dining room making sure that dinner plates were cleaned of every broccoli spear and chicken leg. This worked for many years; it was great. Today I introduced Sammy to the Christmas elf. She was enchanted by the elf and wanted to experience the texture and flavor I believe. Sorry, Legolas, this elf has my heart.

2 comments:

Papa said...

Believe it or not this really did work. It was Mouse (Auntie Kenna) who thought something was up--I believe she was 16. Daddio never had a clue, in fact he may believe that it is still the "Christmas elf". Mommie should ask for it or start her own to see!! It would probably still work to this day but we left it out well past Christmas one year. own "Christmas elf"

Patti said...

I loved reading about the elf watching to make sure the wee ones (Auntie Kenna and Daddio) cleaned their plates...THANK GOD the elf didn't make a visit (to the best of my knowledge) when the Bosworth wee ones were visiting when Auntie Lorna would serve Tomato Soup...pour Mandy B. (now C.) would still be sitting there Christmas presents be d***ed...

Also, I had to laugh about Mimi taking the elf from Orignal Mimi's Christmas stockpile...I know all about that sort of pilfering already...this year my ornament box was woefully lighter then years past ("oh this one's mine"..."oh and so is this one...it has my name"..."oh and so and so gave this to me...I'm taking it too")...plus a few other Christmas heirloom treasures ("can I have this please...I always loved it")...seems they found their way to the Lone Star State...